For my final, I chose the story making project. The premise of my story is that the pandemic has already essentially set in to society. I remained vague about the specifics of the disease as I thought it would be more important to deeply explore a single idea rather than spread myself across too many details. This also helped me reveal the idea of the disease slowly and deliberately, rather than cramming in a news segment for exposition. In its most basic form the disease takes away your ability to perceive depth, which we can assume to be a spinning sensation or panoramic vision. The one clearly defined rule about the disease is that you can see regularly through a mirror, since it is a flat reflection. There was a lot I wanted to communicate through visuals and through characters so I chose to write a screenplay. It is a short screenplay, so, in an attempt to be metaphorical and subtle there may be some ideas that are underdeveloped, at least in how they are conveyed to the audie...
I was really engaged in this presentation because I actually live in one of the buildings that Michael Higgins brought up. It was really cool experiencing the tour through online Google Maps, and it was especially interesting to learn so much more about the street that I live on and the area that I spend almost every day. It also made it clear how Brooklyn has changed over time and how it has been subject to gentrification. I remember a friend of mine once told me that MetroTech was laid out very specifically and with a purpose. So it was really cool to hear that affirmed that it was designed to be an urban renewal site. There were other really cool and almost wild facts like how 20,000 apartments have been built in Brooklyn, just in the last few years.
Yvonne talked about open for business, which she described as a coalition of companies that believe in inclusive and diverse communities, and that these communities are good for business. The main goal is to advance the communities of diversity in sexual orientation, gender identity and expression. She noted that South Africa was most progressive as they legally protect the queer community. However, they are not perfect, as there are still several issues, including misguided "correction." Yvonne also mentioned genderless pronouns in Swahili. My parents speak a dialect known as Cebuano, which also has genderless pronouns. My mom used to say this made it easier for her to use the correct pronouns with non binary people or people who are comfortable with the use of they/them pronouns. While there is some truth and benign intent to that sentiment, gender identity isn't about ease, it is about expression. I think that looking away from a problem isn't solving it. It is goo...
Comments
Post a Comment